Twitter

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients:
3 Chicken Breasts
2 red potatoes
Half a bag of frozen corn
2 carrots
4 stalks of celery
half a bag of peas
a handful of green beans
1/2 cup of margarine
1/3 cup of flour
sea salt
black pepper corn
a can of cream of chicken soup
2/3 cup of milk
2 9inch pie crusts
For my next trick, Chicken Pot Pie! I have to tell you, after making this we did not eat anything else for the next two days until it was gone. This was my first chicken pot pie, and I found the dough to be hard to work with. It would tear, and I would just ball it up, and re work it over and over. So visually, it may not be as appealing as it would be if I were some sort of dough expert, but I am sure you will enjoy it quite the same!
Preheat oven to 425.
First,  I got the potatoes boiling because they will take the longest. Then add the margarine (I use country crock margarine) to a pan and when it is heated up, diced an onion and put it in the pan until the onions became translucent.  I cut up two carrots and a handful of celery stalks and  green beans (I cut those in threes) bought a bag of  frozen corn and frozen peas (which my boyfriend begged for me to not include but you are welcome to).
Boil some water, with a dash of salt and cut up the chicken breasts into cubes and put it in the water with the carrots, celery, corn, green beans, and peas. Put a lid on it and boil for 15 minutes.
When the onions are translucent add the flour then the milk and the cream of chicken. Stir for five minutes on medium and then switch to low- only stirring ever so often until everything else is done.
When veggies and chicken are boiled, drain them and set aside.
Use a glass pie dish, unroll one of the pie doughs and lay it in the bottom, cinching the sides. pour in the veggies. Dice the potatoes and put them on top. Then pour the cream mixture on top of it all, this will fill in all the gaps. Don't be afraid to pile higher than the glass container. Then take your second pie crust and lay it on top, cinching the sides. and cut three slices in the top for ventilation.
Done after 35 minutes or when crust is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment