Twitter

Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Defrost Debacle

Many of you probably understand defrosting. This process is quite simple. At the supermarket try getting meat wrapped in the size you will be using for one meal or when you buy your meat, you should seperate it by how much you will cook for one night, put it in freezer safe bags or containers and freeze it. You don't want to be trying to seperate chicken that has been frozen all together in a huge bag! Also, If you have to cook all of the meat, make a big meal and when there is plenty leftover, you can freeze it. You also cannot defrost something and then refreeze it, unless it has since been cooked.
This stuff I got quite quickly. My problem with defrosting is that forgetting to defrost stuff ruins your whole nights meal. I have too many times recently planned everything out, bought all of my extra supplies and then came home to frozen meat that would never be ready in time for dinner.
Secondly, do not forget that if you are using a slow cooker, you must take your food out far in advance. This morning I took out tenderloin, thinking I would have all day to defrost it, then I could cook it for dinner tonight. But much to my suprise, I remembered that I wanted to slow cook it, and to do that it needed to already be defrosted. So now I have nothing to cook and that is why my dinner consists of this:
a leftover brownie and some wine!
One more quick tip I learned: As far as freezing your cooked leftovers- remember that the food lasts only as long as the quickest molding ingredient. If anything is used in your meal that doesn't bode well over time (like bacon) you can only keep it for as long as that ingredient lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment