Twitter

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Resources

When you don't know how to cook you usually don't know what to cook. I have found that looking up recipes can go a few different ways. As much as I want to try new things and learn how to do different stuff I think I had the most luck with meals that are most familiar to something I like, say- food I already likes second cousin. This way you pretty much like 85% of the ingredients and you won't be shocked to find out after two hours and many $$$ for strange new foods that you don't like it and you still have nothing to eat for dinner. This happened to me a bunch when I tried to do some crazy recipes from some super fancy cookbooks. Just not my style yet. Yes, I am stepping a class up from spaghettios but that doesn't mean I need to be reading cookbooks from San Francisco's most prestigious chef's and their recipes for their very expensive restaurants. Not yet at least. The two things I tried to cook out of that book required so much of my energy, I ended up cooking 3 dinners in one day and not being satisfied with ANY of them.
One resource I have found most useful is the website Supercook.com. This website records a list of all of your food, spices etc and gives you recipes based on what you already have. The more ingredients you have the closer to the top of the list it will be, and below those are a list of recipes where you are missing one ingredient and then two and so on. I think it has been my top resource in finding recipes. The best thing about it is you can highlight something you have like, "chicken" and then it will only show recipes with chicken in them. Or you can also go to appetizers, entrees or dessert etc. to find a specific thing to make.
Another thing I have noticed is the most helpful websites for cooking have not been recipe sites. The more someone explains the process of how things are done, the little tips and tricks for cooking and not just lists of recipes the better you will get at cooking. And I have found that people with lots of pictures are pretty helpful also. One I liked is www.ThePioneerWoman.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment